Wednesday 15 June 2011

Tassel Tutorial

I am an ATS dancer and I have big love for tassels. Working on a new tassel belt, so I thought I'd share a quick tutorial!!! I know most of you are probably well versed in tassel making, so if this post is completely boring then simply feel free to drool over this yarn. Check out these colours:


Are you not IN LOVE with that purpley bluey colour? It's okay if you're not, I love this yarn enough for both of us. That shimmery green too! So excited for another tassel belt!

Okay - back to the tutorial!! So all you need are some scissors, some sort of measuring object to wind yarn around, and of course, some yarn. (Mine was purchased at Michaels for about $5 each).


So grab your yarn, and something flat to wrap it around. It's better to choose something sturdy - not a bendy shoebox lid like I used! DVD or CD cases work well.  You can even make your own with some wood or cardboard. 


Now start wrapping! The length of each side of the wrap will be the length of the tassel.  If you want your tassels to be uniform in size, it's best to count how many wraps you make. Brave people estimate when it looks 'right' to them but I'd rather be certain. 


Now snip your yarn! Then take a piece and weave it under the yarn loop.  


Tie it up! Then cut the yarn at the other end.


Now you can see the tassel starting to shape up!


The last step is to cut a piece of yarn and tie it around the tassel, making a 'head' so to speak. You can tuck the ends right into the tassel head or tassel fringe, depending on how long they are. This is also when I give my tassels a trim at the bottom so the ends are even.


Repeat until you have all the tassels you need!


If you want to go a bit farther, you can wrap a different colour yarn around the top, or some beading or other adornment. It's also popular to make mixed colour tassels by doing say, 40 wraps of one colour and 10 of another, or just use a whole mish mash of textures and colours. Wherever your creativity leads you!

Happy tassel making!!

4 comments:

  1. I love the green! Now I feel like making some tassels, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'd like to think tassels make the world a better place :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made my fist tassel from your tutorial and it was sooo easy. Thank you! I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it thank you for posting. I can't wait to get started.:-)

    ReplyDelete