Saturday 4 June 2011

My First Tassel Belt

Hey guys! So a few weeks ago I decided to try my hand at a tassel belt. It was very inexpensive to make. The belt I purchased at a thrift store for $2 and the yarn from Michaels for about $6. Just thought I'd show you what I came up with and what I plan to do differently next time!


So I started off by making tassels (post tutorial coming soon) with a dark burgundy yarn. I picked a yarn that already looked twisted so that in the knotted area it didn't look too plain. If you choose a plain string yarn, I think a good way to add some interest (and strength) would be to braid it first.

After plotting out my knots on paper I attempted to make them with the yarn. My measurements weren't quite exact ;) so I think I'd use a ruler next time instead of eyeballing where to cut. To attach the yarn to the belt I just did some simple sewing, and knotted it well so (hopefully) it won't come loose.

 One thing I would change next time would be the position of the outer tassels.  I would prefer them at the very edge of the belt so that when dancing they fall over the front of my hips, instead of over the side. Also, you could easily add more detail by putting decorations on the knots or the gathered part of the tassel.

So, overall I'm happy with my first tassel belt, but I'm excited to try it out again!

1 comment:

  1. I love this belt! Thanks for sharing this. It's beautiful. I may have to try my hand at something similar.

    ReplyDelete